Being South African Goes Beyond Pigmentation

By Benny-yock Aye Simon



As a black man, I often find myself being caught between being positive and being myself. Back in the days of our black leaders, they were not obsessed with being blacks. It was not an option. It was a situation that you were forced to live through. So this is what I mean that I am caught between being positive, and being myself. Because many times being positive is a farce, a front, a comfortable, a polite way of saying that I am proud of being a black African. I would like to think that being a South African is not by the colour of the skin but by the efforts that one has brought into the blacks and whites world. Therefore, being a South African is not a matter of skin pigmentation but the mental attitude.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment