Police “Shoot to Kill” in Post-Apartheid South Africa

By Tshepo Ntokoane, Founder of the Andries Tatane Foundation
Bloemfontein, Free State Province, South Africa


During the apartheid regime, we firmly condemned the naked police brutality of the Sharpeville Massacre, the Langa Massacre and many other incidents of this nature. Today, decades after ‘freedom’, we give ourselves a round of applause and congratulate the inhuman acts of brutality by police. Cases such as the Marikana “Massacre” are referred to as “responsible policing.”

What happened to ubuntu? What happened to batho pele (people first)? Is it the truth or what we can prove in court that matters now? Where have we placed our people’s dignity in the rankings? Last?

The late Prof. Chinua Achebe once said “We cannot trample upon the humanity of others without devaluing our own.” Where do recent patterns of police brutality place us in as far as ubuntu or humanity is concerned?

No one deserves to die like Tatane, Mido and the miners of Marikana. We all have the right of dignity.

Reducing police training from 2 years to 1 year; hiring anybody, even those with no passion to protect our communities because we want to create employment; employing (in senior positions) individuals without experience in policing is the reason South Africa is faced with this crisis today. It puzzles me that government refuses to set up a commission of inquiry into police conduct even though stats show 1 722 cases and 720 deaths related to police brutality reported to the IPID in 2011/2012.

The ideology behind the police actions in this country remains “shoot to kill” in a democratic country; similar to "skop, skiet en donder" during the Aparthied regime.

Steve Biko once rephrased to Aimé Césaire and said: “When I turn on my radio, when I hear that someone in the Pondoland forest was beaten and tortured, I say that we have been lied to: Hitler is not dead,” Perhaps I should add: “When I switch on my television and see someone being assaulted, dragged behind the police van, getting shot for protesting against service delivery, I say that we have been lied to: Piet Botha and James Kruger are not dead.” I ask myself, is this what democracy is all about? Is this what the freedom fighters died for?”

“Give black people guns. They will go and kill each other and murder cases among blacks should bear very little punishment in order to encourage them.” that’s what P.W Botha said. Andries Tatane and many other cases not published on the media confirm this statement.

What happened to the truth if the accused are found not guilty in the murder case of Tatane? They were recorded live, brutally assaulting and deadly shooting him in the chest with one shot but two rubber bullets, one bullet which was reported to have gone to his heart and the other one to his lung. Not Guilty?

If we as the people are silent, if we are not going to testify as witnesses in court as was the case in Tatane’s, then police brutality will never end. We will continue to chant ‘rainbow nation’ while our people die like insects.

If we let this go on without punishment, history will repeat itself, strangers will become brothers, they will fight fire stone like the youth of ’76. They will no longer sing ‘kill the boer, kill the farmer’ but ‘kill the police, kill the enemy.’ They will sing with their last breaths and then we will want to listen;
‘wa thinta thina, wa thint’abangazokufa, safa sa phenduka, sa phenduk’ inj’ebovu… wanyakaz’umkhonto we nkonyane kaNdaba.”

Share this:

CONVERSATION

4 comments:

  1. It is sickening to the bone to witness all this brutality.
    Civil society its time you realize your power,
    Take it back and utilities to dismantle such systems in place...for communities development-growth-and prosperity sake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DO YOU WANT A PERSONAL/BUSINESS/INVESTMENT LOAN?

    We have provided over $1 Billion in business loans to over 15,000 business owners just like you. We use our own designated risk technology to provide you with the right business loan so you can grow your business. Our services are fast and reliable, loans are approved within 24 hours of successful application. We offer loans from a minimum range of $5,000 to a maximum of $500 million.

    Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and don’t know which way to go or where to turn? What about finding a reputable Debt Consolidation firm that can assist you in reducing monthly installment so that you will have affordable repayment options as well as room to breathe when it comes to the end of the month and bills need to get paid? Dr. Ezra Sebastian Loan Home is the answer. Reduce your payments to ease the strain on your monthly expenses. Email (ezrasebastianloans@gmail.com)

    DO YOU NEED 100% FINANCE? we give out loans with an affordable interest rate of 2%
    EZRA SEBASTIAN LOAN HOME, (ezrasebastianloans@gmail.com) aims is to provide Excellent Professional Financial Services.

    Our services include the following:

    *Truck Loans
    * Personal Loans
    * Debt consolidation loans
    * Car Loans
    * Business Loans
    * Education Loans
    * Mortgage
    *Refinancing Loans
    * Home Loans

    We give you loan with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 30 years to pay back the loan (secure and unsecured). Do not keep your financial problems to yourself in order for you not to be debt master or financial stress up, which is why you must contact us quickly for a solution to your financial problems. It will be a great joy to us when you are financially stable. Email (ezrasebastianloans@gmail.com)

    NOTE:Bear in mind that it will only take less than 24 Hours to process your file is 100% Guaranteed no matter your Credit Score.

    Yours Sincerely,
    Dr. Ezra Sebastian
    +1 (850)846-6235
    We are certified and your privacy is 100% safe with us. Worry no more about your loans or finances.


    Get your instant loan approval

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I am Emerald Cole and I would like to talk about something that has been of great help to me, my family and my company. Few months ago my company suffered a great loss that i couldn't help it, I was at the verge of loosing my house and my company due to bad credit and unpaid loans. I became so desperate that i didn't know what to do to save the situation, I couldn't get a loan from banks and other financial institution due to my bad credit. Then i set out to Seek funds online, where I got scammed of $6,300 by two different lenders. Until I read about Anz Jackson Plc. where i got a loan with no stress. I now have my company back in production more than ever and my credit settle. You can as well reach them at: anzjacksonfinancingplc@yahoo.com or call/ text: +18437769340, for more Information. All thanks to God almighty and the management of Anz Jackson Plc for making this come through. I am sharing this experience so that everyone who are in need can be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Testimony on how i got my LOAN from fundingloanplc@yahoo.com

    I'm Isabella Tyson from 1910 N Halsted St Unit 3, Chicago IL60614 USA,, i have been searching for a genuine loan company for the past few months and all i got was bunch of scams who made me to trust them and at the end of the day took my money without giving anything in return, all hope was lost i got confused and frustrated, i find it very difficult to feed my family and vowed never to have anything to do with loan companies on net and went to seek of assistance from a very good friend which i explained all my experience regarding online companies with and said he can help me that he knows of a Godsent and well known company called FUNDING CIRCLE PLC, he stated he just got a loan from them although i was still very unsure about this company due to my past experience but i decided to give it a try and did as i was directed by my friend and applied, i never believed but i tried and to my greatest surprise i received my loan in my bank account within 24 hours, i could not believe that i would stand on my feet financially again. I’m glad I took the risk and applied for the loan and today i'm thanking God that such loan companies still exist and promise to share the good news to people who are in need of financial assistance because the rate of scams on net is getting very serious and i don't want people to fall victim when we still have genuine and Godsent lenders.. You can contact this Godsent company using the information as stated and be a partaker of this great testimony.. Email: fundingloanplc@yahoo.com OR Call/Text +14067326622 thanks


    ReplyDelete